About MySQL AB
MySQL AB is the company that develops, supports and markets the MySQL database server globally. Our mission is to make superior data management available and affordable for all, and to contribute to building the mission-critical high-volume systems and products of tomorrow. We have made our product available at zero price under the GNU General Public License (GPL), and we also sell it under a commercial license to those who do not wish to be bound by the terms of the GPL.
The MySQL database server embodies an ingenious software architecture that maximises speed and customisability. Extensive reuse of pieces of code within the software and an ambition to produce minimalistic but functionally rich features have resulted in a database management system unmatched in speed, compactness, stability and ease of deployment. The unique separation of the core server from the table handler makes it possible to run MySQL under strict transaction control or with ultrafast transactionless disk access, whichever is most appropriate for the situation.
Today MySQL is the most popular open source database server in the world with more than 4 million installations powering websites, datawarehouses, business applications, logging systems and more. Customers such as Yahoo! Finance, MP3.com, Motorola, NASA, Silicon Graphics, and Texas Instruments use the MySQL server in mission-critical applications.
The company was set up in Sweden by two Swedes and a Finn: David Axmark, Allan Larsson and Michael "Monty" Widenius who have worked together since the 80's. MySQL AB is the sole owner of the MySQL server source code, the MySQL trademark and the mysql.com domain worldwide. The company is privately held and without debt, and it is financed by venture capital since July 2001.
MySQL AB employs some 55 staff around the globe, and thousands more contribute to the success of MySQL by testing the software, integrating it into other software products, and writing about it.
MySQL AB has three main sources of revenue
- Online support and subscription services sold globally over the MySQL.com website to all users of the MySQL server.
- Sales of commercial MySQL licenses to users and developers of software products and of products that contain software.
- Franchise of MySQL products and services under the MySQL brand to value-added partners.
We provide our customers and partners with support services they can depend on, consulting services, training programs, and more.
We have described our core values as follows
We want the MySQL server to be
- The best and the most used database in the world
- Available and affordable for all
- Easy to use
- Continuously improved while remaining fast and safe
- Fun to use and improve
- Free from bugs
MySQL AB and the people of MySQL AB
- Subscribe to the Open Source philosophy
- Aim to be good citizens
- Prefer partners that share our values and mindset
- Answer email and give support
- Are a virtual company, networking with others
If you want to know more or have a request or proposal for us, please visit our Contacts page to learn how you best reach us.